Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Compost tea, please!

Compost tea, please! 10 Jul 2014 02:48 #1996

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Okay, I need to build a brewer:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Compost tea, please! 22 Aug 2014 09:46 #2206

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
Matt, my "brewer" consists of a 5 gallon bucket filled with rain water and a big chunk of grass clipping with some aged chicken poo thrown in for the nitrogen early in the season. I cover ( so nitrogen won't gas out)and let it sit about 24 hrs, stir it a few times and take 2 cupfuls at a time around the root area of the plant. I use the easiest method I can have success with. My Hugelkultur garden is a whiz bang success this year. Once those roots got down to the rotting tree trunks, limbs, etc they didn't need anymore tea fertilizer! Every plant that has wood beneath the soil is huge and every plant that doesn't have wood beneath did ok but not as good. 8 quarts of pickles from three little vines and ate cucumbers till we looked like a cucumber. hehheh Yep, I'm working on burying some wood in the rest of the garden! Covering with free wood chips from the city and growing cantaloupe and okra in the wood chips. Chicken poo teas gave them the nitrogen they need and helped jump start the wood composting. :) I am a happy old gardener ya'll!
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

Compost tea, please! 22 Aug 2014 10:35 #2211

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
That is so awesome!! I may try that this coming spring:) Maybe even put the wood in there overwinter!

Compost tea, please! 22 Aug 2014 19:38 #2228

• SoCalDeere
  • Good Job(s): 9
My compost tea setup is much more simple

A 5 gallon bucket or a plastic trash can about that size

And a small fish tank air pump from Wally World with stone

Put tap water in bucket hook up air pump run it 24-48 hours to get rid of the clorine and other chemicals

Drop 2 handfulls of manure in a sack of clothe in My case a old pillow case tie it up and some molasses let it brew 24ish hours

Put it in a garden spayer

Thats it cheap and simple
Learning the self-relanace of our Parents and Grand Parents

And the new stuff They wish they knew about

Compost tea, please! 05 Sep 2014 07:30 #2294

• Brando13
  • Good Job(s): 13
I just wanted to try different ways to skin a cat, basically experimenting after I read and watched literally 1000's of vid, articles and research...I can't be simple, it's too easy and boring lol, I did find this to be effective but without a high power microscope I honestly cannot tell how much bacteria i'm really growing. I didn't have to put as much air in the tea as it was brewing, with a diffuser that really separates the air, the stirrer was able to disperse the bubbles throughout the system and not all just rise to the top thus making me believe they swirl around for a little longer dispersing oxygen molecules more evenly throughout. Still working on it, with other's as well.

I normally have a method to my madness and my mind won't settle just because someone said so, or because there are other system's. I love to experiment that is how discoveries are made, I do like the vortex system but seemed overkill to me to use a giant air pump just to keep the water in motion, so the stirrer is, with the motors and controller's I used, more power efficient and imo feels it does the exact same thing, keep the water in constant motion without dead spots.

I'm going to keep experimenting with it, or until someone patent's it under my nose lol has happened a few time's...that's the negative with open source product's but I like for people to know how to make it them self especially if it can help...I'll have more updates soon just have to get everything organized...
THINK, DESIGN AND BUILD!

Compost tea, please! 06 Sep 2014 00:37 #2301

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
I agree, testing things is part of the fun! When it works it is a big bonus:) I have not seen you for some time Brando! Glad your still with us bro!

Compost tea, please! 13 Sep 2014 01:16 #2319

• SoCalDeere
Brando I like to keep it simple and cheap and low buck

My purpase in gardening and home farming is to provide food for Me and My Wife at a cheaper cost than the stores can. if I have to buy parts that $ comes out the food budget so any purchase comes with a lot of thought

I am not bashing Your efforts keep on doing what your doing

BTW I sub'ed your YT abd click the thumbs up for ya

Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Compost tea, please! 13 Sep 2014 07:46 #2321

• Brando13
  • Good Job(s): 13
Oh I know, i'm a pretty blunt person, even when talking in person, people often mistake it as being unpleasant :S and especially here on the computer, something i'm working on, internet etiquette I guess...

But I assure you, I didn't mean any from it and definitely understand were your coming from, gardening is suppose to be cheap or free different for other I assume, but for the most part to offset your grocery bill for the urban gardener's and free or close to free for the big time gardener's.

I really apologize if it came out that way, after reading what I wrote, I said some foul things under my breath as well :blush: , this whole article was meant to discuss everyone's process, which I then hijacked for the project, I should re-write but I'll keep it up for a subtle reminder of how easily words can be heard differently to help me become a little better at this compooter doo da..

Thank you by the way, I really do appreciate the comments and systems others have, and learning myself...I'm also the type that doesn't venture out much so socializing is one of weakest traits but i'll figure it out, hopefully sooner than later :silly:
THINK, DESIGN AND BUILD!
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt, CDfromKY

Compost tea, please! 13 Sep 2014 11:25 #2322

• SoCalDeere
Brando My second reply was My way of saying I was sorry that My first post might come off as being insulting towards You as I re'read it sometime later

We all have have our hobbies and tinkering and creating are hobbies just as much as gardening

I cant weld and with the budget problems here I have to skin this a lil bit differantly

Maybe I am jealious of your tinkering skills

Makeing anything cheaper that does the same is its own skill

Hang in there Brando keep doing what your doing

Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Compost tea, please! 13 Sep 2014 22:05 #2327

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Give me a hug guys:) Both humble men.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS