Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Comfrey for feeding tilapia

Comfrey for feeding tilapia 28 Dec 2013 13:44 #330

We feed comfrey to our tilapia as well as all of our farm animals! It is high in protein and minerals. It dries well so it can be fed year round. Comfrey is a prolific producer, we harvest our plants about 5 times during the growing season. When we feed it t the tilapia, we just crumble a dried leaf and toss it in to the grow tank where it floats till the fish consume it!
Kathy-Origins Hobby Farm
An odyssey in small scale sustainability.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comfrey for feeding tilapia 28 Dec 2013 14:44 #331

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Origins hobby farm wrote:
We feed comfrey to our tilapia as well as all of our farm animals! It is high in protein and minerals. It dries well so it can be fed year round. Comfrey is a prolific producer, we harvest our plants about 5 times during the growing season. When we feed it t the tilapia, we just crumble a dried leaf and toss it in to the grow tank where it floats till the fish consume it!

I hear comfrey can be grown pretty good in aquaponic systems as well:) Does it float really good?

Is this it?
image_2013-12-28.jpg
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Comfrey for feeding tilapia 29 Dec 2013 05:36 #349

Yes, That is the one! It floats fresh or dried! I harvest and dry it in the sun on a low humidity day. I stuff burlap bags with it so I can use it all winter. It is easy to grow, the plant gets bigger so you can multiply your patch but it doesn't spread and take over like mint!
Kathy-Origins Hobby Farm
An odyssey in small scale sustainability.

Comfrey for feeding tilapia 29 Dec 2013 15:46 #355

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Origins hobby farm wrote:
Yes, That is the one! It floats fresh or dried! I harvest and dry it in the sun on a low humidity day. I stuff burlap bags with it so I can use it all winter. It is easy to grow, the plant gets bigger so you can multiply your patch but it doesn't spread and take over like mint!

Good info:) I know one big thing for AQ systems is the fish food needs to float.
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Comfrey for feeding tilapia 30 Dec 2013 09:20 #368

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
I'm going to look and see if I can find some locally here to grow for next year! Thanks for sharing.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS