Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: yellow cucumbers

yellow cucumbers 16 Jun 2014 11:38 #1618

• alex1230
  • Alex
CAM00915.jpg

CAM00916.jpg

1402944273270.jpg

I have a raised organic garden 4x8ft with tomatoes,carrots,cucumbers, lettuce and onions. And my 3 cucumber plants have given me over 30 huge cucumbers. I planted the seeds March 3rd and now which i believe are the last harvest of cucumbers ive noticed the cucumbers are growing yellow and disformed. Ive added organic vegie plant food earlie last week and i think i might be causing more damage then good. Ive harvested the straight yellow cucumbers and pickled them but the others are strange! :blink: They grow like balls or avacado shaped and i need some help or advise....
Last Edit: 16 Jun 2014 11:57 by alex1230.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

yellow cucumbers 16 Jun 2014 16:45 #1625

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Hey hey:) Sorry it took me so long to get back to you my friend! There are a few things that I would like to point out and ask you
  • Do you have bees coming around? A lot of the time a lack of pollination can make the fruit die off. If that is an issue you can always hand pollinate using a QTip and rub it on the "male" flower then rub the pollen you have on the QTip onto the center of the "female" flower.

• You can also get yellowing in newer fruits when you leave older fruit on the plant to long. It stresses the plant:( When you let them get to big they are tough to eat so I would harvest them when there about 5-6" long. Be sure to pick off any dead or dieing fruit so your plant can use that power for new fruit:) Cut off old leaves as well.
Anyone else have anything to add to this? I hope that helps and welcome to our new site:)

Admin Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
Last Edit: 16 Jun 2014 16:46 by HFI_Matt.

yellow cucumbers 16 Jun 2014 20:27 #1632

• alex1230
  • Alex
Matt. I dont think i have issues with bees in pollination. I see a few bees, butterflies etc pollinating. But i think i do tend to leave the fruit on the vine to long. Somewhere on the net i read to harvest them when the yellow lines on the base start to appear. I do not cut off dead leaves but ive noticed the base of the plants are looking a bit thin and dry. This is my first garden and kinda new to know when plants are done. I will harvest the older fruit and cut off dead leaves and vines and hopefully this help. How long do cucumber plants give fruit? Ill post pictures later this month to show improvements....btw most of cucumber skin is harder to chew i thought this was because it was organic or/and the type of cucmber they are. Thanks again!
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS