Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: mulching my new garden

mulching my new garden 03 Mar 2014 05:54 #1049

• weavz
  • Good Job(s): 1
Hi all! I'm looking for advice as to what mulch to use for my new garden I am starting this spring. I'm doing raised row gardening and my plot will be 30x30. Straw was suggested but its expensive and I'm worried about the weeds. I don't have access to my own leaves or grass this year but I will next year. Thanks for the help!!!! BTW its -7 outside and I am soooooo ready for spring!!!! :silly:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY

mulching my new garden 04 Mar 2014 02:00 #1052

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
I would look on Craigslist to see if anyone is getting rid of wood chips from tree trimming:) They will normally deliver it to your home for free if they are a landscaping company but they tend to dump a lot.

Have you heard of Back to Eden gardening?

Click here to watch the movie! < < < <
Untitled.png

I can't wait for spring to come to you as well by the way:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
Last Edit: 05 Jun 2014 15:01 by HFI_Matt.

mulching my new garden 13 Feb 2015 06:43 #2364

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
After watching Paul Gautschi's Back to Eden gardening method last gardening season (2014) I experimented using wood chip mulching area and a no wood chip area and an area using leaf mulch. The plants with wood chip mulch outperformed all other mulch! My onions were struggling even with fertilizer applications and leaf mulch till I mulched them with aged wood chips! I am lucky enough to be able to haul a constant free ( using my own containers, they charge per P/U truck load)supply of aged wood chips from the City (Paducah, KY). Leaves are chipped up with the trees so plenty of nitrogen and it is already composting and is just packed with soil microbes! This season all my garden space will be mulched with wood chips. One of the neat things about wood chips in your garden is you never have to be concerned about compaction as you walk in your garden and no need to make space gobbling paths. I use the plant spaces to trim, and harvest. Another benefit is less watering and less fertilizer. In fact I only used compost tea on my tomatoes two times all season.
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves
Good Job(s) from: Panda

mulching my new garden 04 Mar 2015 22:29 #2368

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Thanks for doing these test CD:) I am really wanting to get lots of wood chips this year so I think I may need to contact a tree trimming company! Ha ha ha!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS