Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: found an easy way to make rows for planting

found an easy way to make rows for planting 19 Jan 2014 10:02 #727

• ericka_2609
  • Good Job(s): 2
found this while on the web:

courtesy Willow Haven outdoor:

take a garden rake and take short pieces of hose or pcv pipe that can fit over the tines. cut the pipe or hose to the length (depth) required and place them on the tines - spaced how you need them. then go ahead and drag the rake across the prepared area where you are wanting to plant. now you have instant planting grid and row markers. cool eh. ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt, HBLovely49

found an easy way to make rows for planting 19 Jan 2014 12:02 #728

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
ericka_2609 wrote:
found this while on the web:

courtesy Willow Haven outdoor:

take a garden rake and take short pieces of hose or pcv pipe that can fit over the tines. cut the pipe or hose to the length (depth) required and place them on the tines - spaced how you need them. then go ahead and drag the rake across the prepared area where you are wanting to plant. now you have instant planting grid and row markers. cool eh. ;)

This is great idea. I do square foor gardening for some of my plants and I've often thought how much simpler it would be to just make the rows closer together instead of planting each square at a time. This rake outfitted would be perfect for what I want to do! Thank you.
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

found an easy way to make rows for planting 13 Feb 2015 06:14 #2363

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
I have discovered even a better way of spacing ones plants. It's fast, efficient and saves time and makes for a neater garden (if that matters) I use a 2'.5"x 3 piece of scrap lattice. This size is easy for me to handle. The diamond spaces are exactly 6" from center to center. It spaces my plants and staggers the rows so I can bet more plants per plot. eg., I plant kale 12" apart and lettuce, peas, etc., 6" apart, never need to measure, mark, or rake. Just lay the lattice over your planting area, place seeds as directed and your done! Hope this helps.
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

found an easy way to make rows for planting 04 Mar 2015 22:20 #2367

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Cool ideas:) I found these online and would like to do something like these!

This one would be great for me:)
SimpleSeedSpacer.jpg

This one would be awesome as long as you can remove the wood pegs.
dsc03742.jpg
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

found an easy way to make rows for planting 08 Mar 2015 23:21 #2372

• Panda
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 41
We use something similar to the wood peg board but we put screws in the boards (square foot) that way we can screw the screws deeper or more shallow depending on what needed to be planted. We made several boards that fit into our square foot gardens, very easy to make and use.
We don't do square foot gardening any longer so I am not sure if we still have the boards around for photos.
Come to my garden and sit with me...
Among the flowers and honey bees...
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS