Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen...

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 02 Jan 2014 22:31 #452

• Panda
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 41
One of my favorite chickens is turning out to be a rooster.

20.c9.o.jpg

This would not be a problem except for we can't have roosters in city limits so he is going to have to go live on my brothers and sister in love's farm.
We got a mix of Light Sussex and Coronation Sussex chickens when they were all just less then a week old, 16 chicks in all. Oreo was one of the most friendliest and always liked to be held and would fall asleep on our lap. When he started getting older we would be out in the chicken yard and we would pick up one of the other chickens and he would jump up on our lap and snuggle down for a lil rest. He still comes running to us when we go outside he acts like a puppy wanting attention.

11.c2.jpg

All of the girls follow him around so if he comes running to us the rest follow.
We harvested the roosters a couple of weeks ago but still was not sure if Oreo was a rooster or hen... he just did not mature as fast as the other roosters. He is such a beautiful Coronation Sussex and I really wish we could keep him but he is going to the best place on earth to live on a beautiful farm with some of the other chickens that he grew up with. We gave my brother 5 of the hens we raised from chicks to add to his flock.
Come to my garden and sit with me...
Among the flowers and honey bees...
Last Edit: 02 Jan 2014 23:20 by Panda.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: Cpt.Rugby

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 02 Jan 2014 22:53 #453

• Panda
  • Expert Member
I shared this to my facebook page
www.facebook.com/PandasTreasure
Good Job(s) from: Opabee

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 03 Jan 2014 12:59 #456

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Panda wrote:
I shared this to my facebook page
www.facebook.com/PandasTreasure

I got you down:) We had a couple roosters and we are under the same laws here in my city, they were both our favorites!! They just seem sweeter!

You have followed all the rules and you're definitely entered!!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 04 Jan 2014 08:23 #465

• streetwalker
  • Good Job(s): 18
Oreo looks like a sweetie. I'm sorry you have to let him go. :(

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 04 Jan 2014 10:17 #467

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
Dontcha just hate when hens turn out to bee roosters? :angry:

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 04 Jan 2014 11:22 #468

• Panda
  • Expert Member
Ralph said we should of named him curve ball because he has fooled us all the way. We named him Oreo because we thought he was going to be one of the black and white birds (Light Sussex). But he ended up being a Coronation Sussex so we actually started calling Oreo double stuffed lol then he turned out to be a he instead of a she lol
Oh well, she he will have a nice home with my brother *giggle*
Taking him out there today. :(

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 04 Jan 2014 12:26 #471

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Panda wrote:
Ralph said we should of named him curve ball because he has fooled us all the way. We named him Oreo because we thought he was going to be one of the black and white birds (Light Sussex). But he ended up being a Coronation Sussex so we actually started calling Oreo double stuffed lol then he turned out to be a he instead of a she lol
Oh well, she he will have a nice home with my brother *giggle*
Taking him out there today. :(

Ha ha ha!! I love it, "Curveball":)

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 09 Jan 2014 07:59 #551

• Panda
  • Expert Member
Oreo went to live with my brother's chickens over the weekend and we traded him for an older Plymouth Barred Rock that we named Amy. Amy is becoming one of our favorites in this short time because she has been showing our other younger chickens how to scratch and she has given us our very first egg on the ranch *smile*
Meet Amy :woohoo:

05.c1Amy.jpg

05.c3.jpg

It did not take her long to bond with the other chickens, that is another plus for her!!

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 09 Jan 2014 15:40 #560

• streetwalker
  • Good Job(s): 18
Panda, I saw we were neck and neck, so I thought I would post something to make us even in this critical challenge. ;) The heat is on...
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Oreo, the rooster, I wanted him to be a hen... 11 Jan 2014 18:06 #611

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Panda wrote:
One of my favorite chickens is turning out to be a rooster.

20.c9.o.jpg

This would not be a problem except for we can't have roosters in city limits so he is going to have to go live on my brothers and sister in love's farm.
We got a mix of Light Sussex and Coronation Sussex chickens when they were all just less then a week old, 16 chicks in all. Oreo was one of the most friendliest and always liked to be held and would fall asleep on our lap. When he started getting older we would be out in the chicken yard and we would pick up one of the other chickens and he would jump up on our lap and snuggle down for a lil rest. He still comes running to us when we go outside he acts like a puppy wanting attention.

11.c2.jpg

All of the girls follow him around so if he comes running to us the rest follow.
We harvested the roosters a couple of weeks ago but still was not sure if Oreo was a rooster or hen... he just did not mature as fast as the other roosters. He is such a beautiful Coronation Sussex and I really wish we could keep him but he is going to the best place on earth to live on a beautiful farm with some of the other chickens that he grew up with. We gave my brother 5 of the hens we raised from chicks to add to his flock.

Well Panda, you are our WINNER!!! Please make sure to private message (PM) me all your contact info so my sweetheart of a wife can send you your gift card:) I will be putting one of your photo's up on the front page along with a link to this forum post so people can read your story:)

God Bless!

Admin Matt
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2014 18:07 by HFI_Matt.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS