Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Egg Eaters

Egg Eaters 28 Dec 2013 17:25 #339

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
Anyone have an egg eater hen? I have one that keeps eating eggs if I don't get out there fast enough :angry: . I have golf balls in the nesting boxes already. Anyone else have this issue? How do i solve this problem? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Last Edit: 28 Dec 2013 18:03 by AdminEric.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Egg Eaters 28 Dec 2013 18:03 #342

Three solutions:
1) This most often happens to me when the nest box is out of straw. The eggs get cracked or crushed because of lack of cushion. Most chickens will not eat an intact eggs, but they all love a broken one.
2) If the egg laying area is well cushioned, try wooden or solid plastic eggs. The egg eater pecks the fakes and loses interest in eggs.
3) Get rid of the bird. Slaughter or craigslist for meat. Nobody needs a bird that costs feed money and reduces egg production.
Good Job(s) from: Panda, Joseph_Hosey

Egg Eaters 28 Dec 2013 18:07 #344

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
christopher_5248 wrote:
Three solutions:
1) This most often happens to me when the nest box is out of straw. The eggs get cracked or crushed because of lack of cushion. Most chickens will not eat an intact eggs, but they all love a broken one.
2) If the egg laying area is well cushioned, try wooden or solid plastic eggs. The egg eater pecks the fakes and loses interest in eggs.
3) Get rid of the bird. Slaughter or craigslist for meat. Nobody needs a bird that costs feed money and reduces egg production.

Great point on the cracked egg Christopher:) That is true for sure!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS