Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: chicken waterer

chicken waterer 01 Jun 2014 20:08 #1452

• rsmith
  • Good Job(s): 10
Our lid actually has a spout on it with a lid. So in the winter we drop a bucket heater in and are able to run the cord out the spout. Water does not freeze and it is always clean. I do sometimes have issues with the water nipples freezing. It only takes a few seconds to thaw them by holding my hand around them. We are going to try to come up with something that will resolve that issue next winter. We had a brutal winter with many temps in the negatives.
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

chicken waterer 01 Jun 2014 20:18 #1454

• jdinky
Same here with winters, thinkin of doing something like this that you put the waterer on but im kinda leary about extension cords in the coop.

waterer.jpg

chicken waterer 01 Jun 2014 22:35 #1457

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Have ether of you tried a fish tank heater? Just make sure to double the amount of water it can heat. If you have a 5 gal bucket then get a 10 gal fish tank heater:) You can get one here: - (amzn.to/1olcZXC)

If it gets really really cold where you live you can get a more powerful fish tank heater. That should keep the water from freezing up on your chickens!

Here is a video I did on using a light as a water heater!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

chicken waterer 02 Jun 2014 07:28 #1459

• rsmith
  • Good Job(s): 10
I tried a fish tank heater first, but it kept shutting off. Not sure if it was faulty or it was just too cold for it to keep up. We have another idea for a watering system using pvc pipe. I well post something when we build it and use it. Will be a few months.
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances...
Last Edit: 02 Jun 2014 07:29 by rsmith.

chicken waterer 02 Jun 2014 10:55 #1462

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
It is supposed to turn off when it reaches the temp it is set to:) A bird bath heater would work great as well. Here is a good one: - (amzn.to/1m62ncm)

It works on shallow bird baths so I am sure it will work for the bucket:)

winter_bluebird.jpg

chicken waterer 27 Jun 2014 13:30 #1807

rsmith wrote:
This one I posted from my phone...not an iphone. I posted in another subject from my tablet, but they were also rotated.

@rsmith,

Thanks for the information about the image issue you've been having. I've not experienced this myself and this seems to be a limited issue. Have you posted other images via your phone or tablet that does the same thing? Have you posted images from your PC, are those rotated too?

If I message you directly, can you send me the images you've posted to me and I'll see if I can reproduce the issue.

I'll PM you shortly.

Thanks,
Johnathan

chicken waterer 26 Sep 2014 17:35 #2342

• Plm6846
We had that setup until the handles broke off the buckets because of the weight. My latest is to use horizontal nipples on the 5 gal buckets..I can keep the lids down well and it took no time at all to teach the chickens..I find this type nipple way easier for me no more lifting that really heavy bucket..I sit ours on two large bricks. I have one in each run and one by the horse trough where the girls spend their time.

chicken waterer 27 Sep 2014 02:14 #2344

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
I still have my water nipples in a 1gal water bottle but I will be using a bucket soon as well:) How often do you have to refill the bucket for how many chickens you have?
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS